Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Writing about writing really sucks

Inspired by my friend Chris's blog No Pity, earlier this week I decided to start a blog of my own. I've resisted blogging for a long time, because it just seemed a little narcissistic and self indulgent. Chris's advice on this was that after you get over this, it's quite fun (Actually, I believe this advice came from his friend Amy). Also, it's good writing practice.

I noticed that the most popular Blogs always have strong and consistent themes. Blogs about nothing (or worst, just ranting) have the potential to get boring quick. I decided that if I was going to have my own blog, it would have to have a good theme.

Two themes came forward in my mind: One, miniature war gaming (one of my favorite hobbies), and two, Fiction writing. Miniature war gaming is a slightly obscure and uber geeky, so I decided to quarantine it off to its own blog. Fiction writing, on the other hand, seemed like a brilliant blog topic. I could post pieces I'm working on, write about the art and process of writing, etc...

Since college, I haven't been writing much or hardly at all. I had a few assignments as a correspondent at several small community newspapers. Other than that, my fiction writing has mostly died. I really could spend several blog entries explaining how this happened, but I doubt that would be productive. Maybe writing about writing in this blog would motivate me to write more.

Then, fate intervened. My girlfriend and I were at restaurant on Monday night that hangs the work of local artists on its walls. On the wall above my girlfriend's head, hung a series of small sketches seemingly ripped from some artist's notebook. Most were very rough - nothing more than studies, really. One that caught my eye had a phrase delicately stenciled on it. It said "art about art really sucks, no seriously." I pointed this out to my girlfriend and we both agreed that yes, art about art really sucks.

So I guess that means that writing about writing probably sucks too. I read a part of "Writing Down the Bones" in college and it didn't seem that bad.

OK, so what now? Well, it looks like I've turned writing about writing into blogging about blogging, so all bets are off. All I ask is that you watch this space and hopefully, it won't bore you to tears.

2 Comments:

At 1:51 PM, Blogger Chris said...

it cannot be any worse than tattoos of people that also have tattoos

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger Scott said...

A tattoo of a guy with a tattoo?! Oh Man, you are so trippin' my zone!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home